Overview Of Preventive Dentistry
The area of dentistry that focuses on life practices and procedures that help individuals prevent the occurrence or progression of oral disease is termed Preventive Dentistry, and it is the practice of taking good care of the teeth and keeping them healthy to prevent cavities, gum diseases, enamel wears off, etc, and this is done throughout the lifetime of the individual.
There is a range of preventive dental services, and which includes daily brushing and flossing, dental check-ups and cleanings, dental health education, and other preventive dental services as provided by professional dental staff in a dental clinic.
Preventive Dental Treatment at Home.
Preventive dental care techniques at home are already a part of your daily routine. Firstly, you are to make sure to always brush your teeth twice a day (once in the morning after breakfast and also once before bed at night). It is also beneficial for you to floss at least once a day, which is preferably done before bed. A soft toothbrush is recommended for use, in addition to fluoride-containing toothpaste.
Secondly, use a mouthwash to clean the areas of your mouth that your toothbrush cannot reach. For people with specific dental conditions, such as a dry mouth or tooth sensitivity, would be prescribed a specialized mouthwash as recommended by their dentist.
Thirdly, try to avoid eating lots of sugary or acidic foods or drinks as the sugars from these can easily build up on the teeth and can cause cavities and other dental issues.
Lastly, you are to ensure that your teeth get an adequate daily amount of fluoride. If you live in an area where the water is not adequately fluorinated, then, you and your family may need to supplement with fluoride rinses to keep your teeth strong.
Preventive Dental Services at the Dentist.
Away from home, there are some things about the preventive dental treatment that only your dentist can do to help you maintain a healthy mouth. Hence, it is important to schedule regular cleaning appointments. Most dentists would recommend a cleaning every six months (twice a year), but for those with special circumstances, he or she may need to see you more often.
During such appointments, your dentist will likely conduct a series of preventive dental care techniques, such as:
- Cleaning your teeth to rid of any plaque and tartar build-up.
- Checking your teeth and gums for signs of decay or gum diseases.
- Checking your tongue and screening other areas of your mouth for any issues like oral cancer, periodontitis, and other oral health conditions, etc.
- Conducting any specialized treatment needed, such as fluoride treatment, dental X-rays, etc.
- To benefit from the above and you are domiciled in Bolton, you could walk into South Hill Dental, which provides quality preventive dentistry in Bolton, Ontario.
Preventive Dental Treatment For Children.
Preventive dentistry is essential (and highly recommended) for kids as early exams and cleanings before bacteria even have the chance to build up can ensure a lifetime of dental health.
The use of Sealants is also preventive as they help to protect kids’ back teeth (molars). They are painted onto the top surface of the teeth to prevent decay and as soon as they come in, they can stay cavity-free for life, thereby reducing the risk of decay by nearly 80% in molars.
Lastly, children who suffer from teeth misalignment may need to visit a specialized dentist who is known as an orthodontist. An orthodontist then prescribes treatment measures such as braces.
What are the benefits of Preventive Dentistry?
The regular preventive dental treatment provides the following benefits:
- Lowers the risk for developing tooth decay, gum disease, and other serious dental problems.
- Helps promote good oral hygiene habits.
- Early identification of dental problems may help minimize treatment and cost.
- Help reduce dental problems related to some chronic medical conditions. Diabetes, osteoporosis, certain cancers, and eating disorders can all affect oral health.
To end this, always remember to visit the dentist regularly, and also include your kids. If you haven’t already, get started by registering for preventive dental care near you, right away.